Wednesday, 29 October 2008

What global warming?

Quickly, a few snapshot moments from last night and today:

1. We had a hailstorm yesterday. I was "trapped" in a coffee shop, and had to have a scone to kill the time. Then it "brightened up" (in British that means "became less cloudy but was still pretty cloudy"), just in time for me to make it to a meeting across town. AWESOME.
2. I broke ice off my bike seat this morning. Ice. Then I rode my bike. Welcome to Cambridge.
3. As I pedaled down an incredibly beautiful street beneath an archway of trees full of enormous bright yellow leaves, a rogue leaf broke free just in time to SMACK ME IN THE FACE. I screamed a little and then had to pull over and laugh. It was just such a huge leaf (face-sized, really) and so yellow and so unexpected... my fellow bike commuters looked sympathetically shocked.

And it's only going to get better, right? Bring it on, winter! :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Holy crap. England takes winter SERIOUSLY. What does that say about the evolution of trees on that side of the pond? Still have Cretaceous tendencies? ICE?!?! Do they make heated bike seats? SCONES?! Do they heat them up??? Or did you have to eat it COLD? Meeting? For ... WINTER PREVENTION? Okay, I'm done. All I meant to say was: stay warm!

Anonymous said...

SCONES !!!! awk blawk surgnefff ack ack