A more personal triumph- today I rose above the enormous grocery store line, the electric "hob" (stove) with two ON switches, the limited cookware in my college's kitchen, and my own aversion to scary things like foreign stoves... and I made dinner (and only a small mess). Now I am ready for my masters degree! :)
Friday, 17 October 2008
Triumph and beauty
Cambridge is a place of triumph- the discovery of DNA structure happened here (it was discussed over pints at the Eagle, which is also my department's local pub. Here I'm pointing at James Watson's signature! Notice that somehow this photo has caught me with books on the table and not beer...)

They also built incredible Gothic buildings in the time before cranes and bulldozers. This is the door to the Department of History and Philosophy of Science, believe it or not. The Physical Chemistry letters were just too beautiful to change, I guess.
A more personal triumph- today I rose above the enormous grocery store line, the electric "hob" (stove) with two ON switches, the limited cookware in my college's kitchen, and my own aversion to scary things like foreign stoves... and I made dinner (and only a small mess). Now I am ready for my masters degree! :)
This is the dinner I made... JUST KIDDING. This lunch I shared with my friend Nicola at a local apple orchard- tea and scones and triangle sandwiches! For real! Some stereotypes are just not made up.
This is a field across the river from Kings College, one of the oldest and most famous colleges. Stories vary, but I heard that when Kings bought this land in 1772 the city stipulated that it had to be used for grazing at least 4 cows- some sort of early zoning requirement, I guess. The Kings website says that the cows are there to mow the lawn. Either way, it's hilarious to see these 4 cows munching away with the most beautiful view in the world.
A more personal triumph- today I rose above the enormous grocery store line, the electric "hob" (stove) with two ON switches, the limited cookware in my college's kitchen, and my own aversion to scary things like foreign stoves... and I made dinner (and only a small mess). Now I am ready for my masters degree! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
What amazing tidbits and photos! You look smarter and older already! ;-)
It all looks beautiful. How old is that Gothic building?
Do people study in pubs or is that a no no? "The Eagle" - ? How terribly non-intellectual.
LUNCH AT AN APPLE ORCHARD?!?! Did you pick apples!?! Were there fancy ladies there?
There are cows ... so Cambridge really DOES have everything. DNA, triangle sandwiches, the power of cooking, and the most ecological lawn mowing (mooing?) system evvarrr.
I would bet you 20 pounds that by the end of the year, you'll be cooking turduckin in that tiny kitchen with the funny knobs.
from uchicago to cambridge, following in dr watson's footsteps!!!
next step...nobel?? =P
Post a Comment