The Cambridge University Library (the UL) has a copy of every book published in the UK. Ever. That's pretty impressive, right?
Except for a few minor problems:
1. The UL has A copy of every book ever published in the UK. One. There are 21 people in my program, and we all need the same book for the same class. Huh. (Too bad I checked it out first... great way to make friends, right?)
2. The UL has wireless internet... in about 3 of its uncountable reading rooms. No more choosing a sunny spot and settling in with your laptop like at a certain beloved university research library in Chicago. Here you have to fight for a spot elbow-to-elbow with the next computer-toting scholar.
3. The UL does not allow you to bring in bags. So that scholar next to you is literally toting her computer, plus her papers, books, pens, wallet... but DEFINITELY not her water bottle (forbidden) or White-Out (SUPER forbidden). You basically juggle expensive, breakable things as you maneuver through a crowded space where any noise gets you glared at.
4. The UL does not allow undergrads to check out books. ?!?!
5. The UL DOES have an online catalogue... except for books published in years 1800-1977. ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? For that time span you have to sort through the card catalogue- handwritten in years 1800-1977.
6. The UL uses its own unique catalogue system. The millions of books in the UL are arranged primarily according to subject... and size. Yes, the small books about the history of paleontology in England are quite far away from the big books about the history of paleontology in England.
I'm struggling to adapt to the lack of academic luxury provided to me by the University of Chicago. Students are not customers here like we are in the U.S. (everyone in the UK and EU has the right to go to university for very little cost.) So it makes sense that Cambridge doesn't pour money into things that would make our lives easier and not necessarily more academically successful, like wireless or backpacks in the library.
That is true for a lot of things here, in that things move just a big slower and there's not the convenience and instant satisfaction that we Americans are so used to. The grocery "queue" (line!) is never shorter than 10 minutes and often as long as 30, and self-checkout lines are unheard of. I've been on a waiting list for 2 weeks to buy a bike. Tea takes at least 2 minutes to steep, and people laugh at you if you drink it 5 seconds after you dunk the tea bag (personal experience).
So being here is a good follow-up to my summer goal of Chilling The F*** Out. While U of C did treat me to library luxury and general efficiency of living, it also made me super uptight and incapable of waiting. After a summer of relatively relaxed jobs and a lot of strolling around Chicago doing nothing, I'm now able to relax and smile at the people next to me in the grocery queue instead of grinding my teeth at the delay.
That said, this is an ongoing process and I will probably continue to drink unsteeped tea rather than stare at it for 2 minutes.
Who said I was in Cambridge to learn the history of science?! :)
Sunday, 12 October 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
WOW. I guess the one plus of limited wireless is less spastic e-mail checking and more focus on work ...? This is so so interesting - I never even considered those things luxuries before! I guess I assumed they were library RIGHTS.
This also seems to speak to the types of books your library has ... there are no bags/pens allowed in Special Collections at the Reg ... but I guess the stacks were less special than the whole of the UL.
Congrats on more opportunities to chill. Careful - you may have to become an expat if you forget how to honk at people and give them the finger! Hm, the fact that you checked out the book first in the library shows you've still got some American in you - somewhere - buried - in the steeping tea bag that is your life. Hold onto that kernel of freedom! ;-)
Does the bike queue allow you to pick between used and new bikes?
I don't know whether to laugh or cry! You go girl, getting that first book, but collections by sizes and hand written card catalogues?? oh it gives me shivers!
...also I'm pretty sure that we had self-check out at the neighborhood Tesco in Bournemouth...so maybe it's also a cambridge thing?
also I noticed that you have to pay more for certain things that would be free in the U.S. Like taking the bus from the airport to the rental car place cost us about $30 for 4 people. Ouch!
The price of cheese was cheaper compared to U.S. though, so that was nice...haha, hope you had a good weekend!
a
It was great to webcam today - what an amazing view right out your sliding door ! I hope that the UK has a poison control hotline...just in case your lasagna turns toxic. I spent the rest of the morning packing mom's car for Florida - can't wait to visit my Dunkin Donuts place ! Have a great week...B
Oh my god Caitlin, you had me falling out of my chair because I was laughing so hard. The blog is a great idea, although you already seem to be pretty good at telling stories. It is surely going to be interesting. Can't wait to hear more!
ok, firstly, those library policies are fucking stupid. campaign to change them! everyone NEEDS internet access and an easily-accessible library catalogs and bags to carry their books in! i agree with you that it's probably not provided given the government-subsidized education there (we'd be REALLY pissed if this was going on at a $50,000/year American university), but you’re less productive if you’re worried about dropping your stuff or bumping into someone or can’t find (or check out) a book, causing you to learn less and, in broader sense, England to lag competitively.
That said, your life sounds pretty peaceful. The things you describe sound especially impossible in New York, where whatever bike shop put you on a two-week waiting list would be out of business thanks to faster-moving shops before the two weeks was even up. No one here can stand wait in line (ahem, queue) or deal with technological delays. I find myself adapting the same mindset, getting really frustrated with systems that aren’t as up-to-date and streamlined as they could be. On one hand, I should probably go live a life like you are in order to “Chill the Fuck Out.” On the other, however, it really kills me that money is washed down the drain on useless stuff and many states don’t even have voter-registration websites – an instance in which speed, streamlining, and making things easy on the customer really should be top priority, in my book.
Sorry, this got really long.
Post a Comment