Saturday, 25 October 2008

England is a great place to be sick

Illness is highly respected here. It is a legit excuse for getting out of anything, and people are genuinely concerned for you when you're sick. At first I took offense that people were constantly asking me "Are you all right?"- what, do I look that bad? But I realize now that being tired or sick or generally "out of sorts" is a big deal here. I'm used to the Univ of Chicago culture of ALWAYS being tired and being slightly sick from November to May (ah, the joys of frequent all-nighters and ever-present dormitory contagions). So health issues are not an excuse in Chicago- deadlines are deadlines and commitments are commitments.
But here, if you admit to being tired or not feeling well, you are instantly encouraged to "go rest", "go have some tea", "go home", "nick out early", etc. It's shockingly easy. Generally people justify this approach because it will shorten your time of sickness if you take care of yourself early on. Maybe the British focus on preventative healthcare because they have national health insurance? They can go to the doctor whenever they want, so why would they mess around feeling crappy if they could just go home and get drugs from the doc? for free? with the blessing of their boss? Amazing country, this.
So yeah, I've finally succumbed to "Freshers' Flu" ("fresher" = freshman/first year), that mysterious disease that everyone gets when they go back to school. I am incurably cold, and someone in class yesterday actually commented on my goosebumps. (How embarrassing!) My nose is running like Paula Radcliffe (i.e. very fast for a long time), and my head is pounding. But still, I am showered with sympathy by everyone I know, and I'm urged to stay in bed. Sweet. :)
I was a little delirious when I stumbled into the pharmacy yesterday desperate for drugs and the store was about to close, so I grabbed (the cheapest) two boxes that said "Cold and flu relief", assuming they were Nyquil equivalents. But they turned out to be little packets of powder that you dissolve in hot water and drink. I was ticked, like maybe they were just Vitamin C powder or something. But no, they are drugs and they are THE BEST. The British really do think tea can solve every problem, so they even make their cold medicine imitate tea! I got blackcurrant flavor (the British don't do grape-flavored anything, go figure.) and it's like drinking hot Kool-Aid and it's DELICIOUS. And somehow there are miracle drugs inside the special powder, so you actually feel so much better afterwards. Why do we stupid Americans put up with disgusting grape Dimetapp, and force our kids to choke down cherry DayQuil?
That said, it's the weekend, and I'm in England, and I feel so crappy that plugging in my computer is a challenge. DAMN. So to make myself feel better (emotionally), I'm having a good "whinge" (whine) on the Internet. Can you guys beat the English with your outpouring of sympathy?? :)
P.S. If anyone is stumped on what to get me for Christmas (or Halloween?), you can sponsor me for a flu "jab" (a scarier and more violent word for "shot")... :)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

how much are these flu jabs? given the falling value of the pound, we lowly Americans might be able to help! aw, that's the pits, though. get this out of your system soon so you don't have to be sick for the rest of the academic year! why does Britain do everything better?! you should import some of that magic blackcurrent miracle drug. I bet there'd be a market for it here ... FEEL BETTER. SERIOUSLY. please. sending good vibes from Chitown. (is somebody lending you a hot water bottle?)

JanetPG said...

Hi Caitlin,

I found your blog through Laurie, and the whole family is enjoying following your adventures.

A little sympathy here for your cold - Hope you feel better soon!
Janet Gayes

akv said...

aye - send some of this miracle powder to the states, flu season is starting up!!

i like your comment about preventative medicine; i wonder if it is related to their healthcare or maybe it's more societal...in any case, i hope you feel better soon and don't have to visit the doc or hospital. (but if you do, would really love a report on their socialized medicine!) =P

<3 a

Katie M said...

Don't even get me STARTED on the whole universal health care/preventative medicine relationship.

It seems so basic to me: We make the sacrifice of paying taxes for national services - police, fire, army, public schools, roads, etc. - to keep us safe and alive. But the most fundamental of such services is health care! You won't live long enough to need a public school or fire department, let alone medicaid or social security, if you don't have basic preventive health care. It makes sense physically and monetarily, and personally, I see it as a human right. If the government is going to take our money in order to care for us, do it in a way that directly does care for us, rather than funneling said money into a new bridge or unjust war (ok, that last one may be a different conversation).

In fact, that's probably all a different conversation. Sorry. I'm actually home sick too - I had an emergency root canal yesterday - so with no human contact, my rant-meter is a little high.

But the point is: take advantage of the premium on good health and feel better!