Monday, 1 February 2010

Pretentious? or just British?

There is sometimes an invisible boundary between the British dialect and what we Americans would consider elitist. Maybe my reaction to the following text message shows how British-ized (or -ised...) I've become?

So my newest round of internet dating has turned up a winner - he's smart, funny, cute, into counterculture and internationalism, just generally fun to be around. After a week or two of hanging out, today he texted:

"I fear I may b in some not inconsiderable danger of becoming rather fond of ur company."

The text-message spelling,
the double negatives,
the qualifying "rather"...
BE STILL MY HEART!!
TOTALLY and COMPLETELY charming, right? Interpretation may depend on your fluency in British, but I at least thought that was the cutest message EVER.
I of course wrote back in my own native tongue: "Whachu talkin 'bout, foo? U don't even KNOW me..."
JUST KIDDING.

4 comments:

Laurie said...

Hahahahaha, oh those british boys...

Unknown said...

SPEECHLESS. That could have been straight out of Sherlock Holmes, Shakespeare, or even Janet Evanovitch (she's a Brit, no? - just kidding). !!!!!!!!!

yaya said...

smarmy git, eh? :P

kidding! zomgs. <3

Sean said...

the qualifying "rather"... What a great way to enlighten us on the level of British enthusiasm. In American this text would have been filled with ";-)" and way too many !!!!!!