Monday, 11 January 2010

Welcome, winter.

This is the UK as seen from a satellite five days ago. Notice anything?
Probably not, because there's nothing to see but SNOW!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8447023.stm

Travel by plane, train, and automobile is a mess. Travel by bike is terrifying. The country ran out of salt (or "grit" in British) and have stopped "gritting" the roads (they never grit the sidewalks...). A visitor at the British Society for the History of Science Postgraduate Conference at my department last week fell on the ice and broke his arm! (He said the emergency room was full of people with broken limbs... like a bad cartoon.)

However...
Cambridge is incredibly beautiful. The river literally sparkled this morning as we rowed along. The birds are quiet and the city's cows have all been moved indoors. Walking through the snow-filled but peopleless streets feels like being the first human to explore the Arctic. Everyone is holing up but inviting others over to break the cabin fever. Indoor parties abound, and I've drunk my weight in herbal tea in the week I've been back.
I LOVE THIS. May it snow forever.

No comments: