Thursday, 29 October 2009

Photos

Photographic evidence of the goofy stuff I've been writing about... Enjoy! Click on photos to enlarge them.

My former preparator boss, friend and key informant at the paleontology conference in Bristol, holding my first published article, which is all about him!

My friend and me at the paleontology conference- note my "Nick Crumpton" nametag. :)

A fellow PhD student on our department's annual Fungus Hunt. Yeah, we nerdy academics actually spent a whole afternoon looking for mushrooms and bringing them proudly to our expert mushroom-identifying professor. Outside. In the woods. No computers or seminars anywhere. We did, however, bring books. :)

This photo shows the 4 categories of natural objects, according to 18th century standards- animal, vegetable, mineral, fungus. My classmate and I thought this was REALLY COOL. Can you identify the four objects?

Me waiting to fill a boat with novices at Clare Hall's Rowing Day, when we trained new rowers for the first time. We had about 40 new people! And I was in charge of their safety, happiness, and rowing ability. It was nuts. Check out my cool Clare Hall rowing "kit" (= clothes!), which I was wearing in full force to make novices think it was cool to join the rowing team... the rain and shitty weather probably counteracted that effort.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

mushroom, grass, snail - but where's the mineral? What fabulous photos! I am especially in awe of the first one. Wow wow wow. It's really your paper! WITH YOUR FULL NAME. And look how happy the bloke looks! YOU JUST VALIDATED HIS LIFE! So awesome - pictures speak thousands of words and emotions. More more more! (Or words, I'll take words, too.)

Sean said...

The Mineral must be the shell? Love the pictures, I want a rowing outfit for Xmas