Wednesday, 7 October 2009

Caitlin in Charge

Cambridge student turnover rate is really high. Undergrads and PhDs are only here three years, and masters students only 9 months. Probably 90% of my college are new students. So if you were here last year then everyone assumes that you know everything.
WHAT?!?!
It's true that it is really hard to move to a new place and settle into the Cambridge lifestyle, which is complicated and bureaucratic and confusing. I totally feel for the new students. But just because I did it last year does NOT mean that I know the best place to buy a bike, how to write a British "cheque", or why the library doesn't allow you to carry bags inside.
Yet somehow, I keep getting asked to be a leader. WTF. Suddenly I am captain of the Clare Hall Women's Boat Club (and the only eligible person for the job), House Representative of my dorm (and the only eligible person for the job), and giving a talk tomorrow for new students in my department on how to do research on museum objects (and the only eligible person for the job).
Do you see a pattern? Being a leader is not a compliment or a reward here, but rather a reflection of how easily you give in when people beg you to fill the desperate lack of people to lead things. And I am a sucker for people asking for help/offering me responsibility. Somehow that gets me put in positions of power? This doesn't seem right.
Ah well. I knew Cambridge doesn't run like a democracy, or really like a meritocracy either, but a show-up-and-you've-got-the-job-ocracy? Come on, Cam, you can do better than that.
In the meantime, I'm going to scheme up a way to abuse my power. That'll teach them to keep assigning me jobs... :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Um, maybe you're just a talented leader? JUST THROWING THAT OUT THERE. Because it's true. Sometimes also willingness, kindness, brains, and brawn play a role. Think of what a great year the rowers, newbies in the dorm, and object researchers will have because you set them off on the right foot! WORD UP!!!!

fantabulousdana said...

I'm with Deena here, on all accounts. But I especially want to reiterate how LUCKY those newbies are to get your insights, experience, enthusiasm, and eagerness guiding their beginnings! I wish I had you around when I got started!
..,but also, this mean first round at the pub is on them, right?