Thursday, 28 July 2011

So so so so so good

A few weeks ago my iPod's shuffle function showed its usual prescient wisdom and played Destiny's Child's song So Good. It wasn't the message of the song that felt so appropriate at that moment (it's actually kind of a tragic song), but its chorus:

I'm doing so so so so so
I'm doing so so so so so
I'm doing so so so so so good good good good good good

You get the idea! With this pounding into my earphones as I strolled through Cambridge on my way to my office, I sang along (as always) and, with the self-reflection that comes just before a birthday, I really meant it. I AM doing so so so so so good. I've had a really fun and productive year. I did two super fun stints of fieldwork in amazing places, met tons of interesting people (and interviewed a lot of them...), saw my family a lot, lived in two houses with tons of character (and characters!), really enjoyed teaching, ran a seminar that I was proud of, really enjoyed *not* rowing... Things are so good. I didn't get sick this winter like I did last winter, I didn't sprain or break anything (a rare occurrence in my pre-Cambridge life), and I avoided the crippling loneliness of last year's term breaks (mostly by leaving town :) ). My friends are wonderful enough that they sent an outpouring of attention and good wishes yesterday for my birthday. Everyone was genuinely excited about it... way more than I was, somehow. They gave me facebook posts, lunch, roses, books, art supplies, hugs, emails, texts, and a Dixie Chicks bag all the way from the US (thanks, Deena!). My family gave me Happy Birthday sung over the internet and money in all kind of forms, including a check for $20 in the post from my step-grandma. Awwwwww. I was doing so so so good before all these moments of thoughtfulness, but they make things even better. :)
Thanks to all of you for making my year and my birthday so so so so so good!

No comments: