1. The Cabinet attendees have high expectations and can be hard to please and will def tell me if they don't like something (eg if the free food at the party is bad, that kind of thing. Come on.).
2. The speaker I'd asked to give the talk for the party is a postdoc who I think is brilliant and a great teacher. She is applying for a permanent job in the department and decided to treat this party talk as her "job talk" and show off to the department bigwigs. Which is great, but that meant that she was nervous. There was a lot more riding on her talk than on a normal post-lunch party talk outside in a garden!
3. The party was planned to be outside in a beautiful college garden with a buffet lunch, and it was forecast to rain like crazy today.
So, luckily,
1. everyone had a lovely time, although - Mom's worst nightmare - more than 40 people showed up when we'd expected about 20! Whoa! I def didn't get any lunch, but no one else seemed to leave hungry, thank god. Our department did get in trouble with the college's caterers for having too many people show up... but I took it as a huge sign of success that this was the best-attended Cabinet garden party in the Cabinet's 23-year history! Hooray!!
2. Our speaker gave a fabulous talk, as I'd known she would, and impressed all the bigwigs with her thoughtfulness and her fun fast-talking lecture style. She was nervous as hell, but she held it together and I don't think anyone noticed.
3. The clouds held and there were even - gasp - instants of sunshine. The rain started *right* at the end of the party, so it worked very conveniently to chase people out of the garden.
4. Bonus - everyone thanked me for running the Cabinet all year, said really nice things about how good the speakers I'd invited had been, and gave me a card they'd all signed (during the lunch, which I tried to ignore :) ) and a present of books about dinosaurs! It was wonderful. I felt very appreciated and proud, and I didn't put my foot in my mouth too much in my response.
WIN.
1 comment:
Rereading some posts after Deena mentioned the boyfriend and I went "Boyfriend?!" and realized I MISSED THE MF'IN MEMO.
So, I'm here on the blog and keep reading past the 4th of July, because any word from you is a good word that makes me smile, and I realize you hang out with Nick Jardine. Like, as EQUALS.
Holy mother of awesome, you are a hero and a goddess and some sort of superhero.
...but we knew that already?
xxxx.
Post a Comment