The computer guy at HPS helped me set up my laptop so it could connect to the department's network (yes, I've been here 2 years now, I thought it was time to be able to use the department's printers...). He was super nice and it felt like going for a physical - he asked me how my computer was doing, if it had any problems, how I was backing up data, if I'd heard of The Best Ways to back up data using the Cam servers, etc. He tsked when I told him my computer's not under warranty anymore, and warned me that the power cords always break first, that mine was sure to go any day now (and it's covered in dinosaur stickers, which he kindly didn't mention but I'm sure are hastening the poor cord towards early death). I was thanking him and heading for the door, network-connected, when he said, oh wait, I've got an extra cord here. And it's got a British plug - take it. I felt a sudden panic as he dangled the little three-pronged plug that's half the size of my current U.S. plug plus U.K. adapter, and I said something like won't I need it when I go back to the U.S? And he looked at me like I was crazy and said, you can have both.
You can have both. Can you? Can I? Am I ready to make that kind of decision?
Maybe this is an overreaction to a computer cord, but it was yet another striking moment of choice. Do I use "z" or "s" in "realized" for the paper I'm submitting this weekend? Is it "oestrogen" and "orthopaedic", or not? Do I use my dino-stickered U.S. cord with a giant U.K. add-on, or is it a regular old U.K. plug like everybody else in my office has?
Eesh. Can I really still be settling in after 2 years?
Friday, 22 October 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment