Saturday, 22 May 2010

Bliss, and a LITTLE MISS MUFFET moment

It was 23 degrees Celsius today, and I don't know what that means except that it was BEAUTIFUL!! The sun shone, the sky was blue, even the cobblestones were hot. Amazing!!
It's also the weekend before the undergrads start their exams - of course. What a tragedy for them that summertime arrived while they're chained to their books, but it was great fun for the rest of us to stroll through Cambridge and stare at them studying under ancient trees and looking like they're in a movie set.
I spent the morning on my beloved little balcony, in my fold-up camping chair, next to my (very unhealthy) plant. I was reading a 900-page book (but only the intro and the conclusion, like any good grad student... :) ) and it was so big that the front half didn't move on my lap when I turned pages in the back half. So it makes perfect sense when I realized after a few wonderful sunny hours that the arm of my chair and the book's front cover were suddenly connected - an industrious little spider had built a WEB between them!!
GROSS that a spider was hanging out with me, and GROSS that I was so oblivious to the world that I could subject my poor book to being a spider-web anchor! Maybe I was drugged by the sunshine? or maybe I'm not used to interacting with nature after being inside for so many months??
That's okay - I'll take Summertime as a complete package, bugs and all, as long as it comes with sunshine.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't get the Rapunzel reference, but it sounds like a LOVELY morning! Maybe Cambridge spiders are just smarter than the average bear? Maybe that was his thesis. :-)

CDW said...

hahahaha I meant the other one, not Rapunzel... the one who had a spider sit down beside her? Who the heck was that?
:)
Thanks for the citation-checking, Deena!